- Students are expected to check their BCSD email on a frequent and consistent basis in order to remain informed of school-related communications. Checking email on a daily basis is recommended. Students have the responsibility to recognize that certain communications may be time-critical. “I didn’t check my email” or “my mailbox was full” are not acceptable excuses for missing official school communications via email.
- Mail forwarding: Students who maintain personal e-mail accounts (e.g. Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) may not forward their BCSD email to these other accounts nor may any other email account be forwarded to a student's BCSD email account.
- Using e-mail for illegal activities is strictly prohibited. Illegal use may include, but is not limited to: obscenity; child pornography; threats; harassment; theft; attempting unauthorized access to data or attempting to breach any security measures on any electronic communications system; attempting to intercept any electronic communication transmissions without proper authority; and violation of copyright, trademark or defamation law, plagiarism or any other form of cheating.
All email messages or data composed, stored, sent, or received using the BCSD email system are and remain the private property of the District. They are not the property of the student.
- The confidentiality of any message or data should not be assumed. Even when a message is erased, it is still possible to retrieve and read that message. The use of passwords for security does not guarantee confidentiality, or that the District will not retrieve it.
- The District will keep all student email archived for at least one year.
- The electronic mail system may not be used to solicit or endorse commercial ventures, religious or political causes, outside organizations, or other non-school-related solicitations.
- All mass email and using listservs are for educational purposes only. Non-school related mass emailing is not allowed without the prior approval of a supervisor.
- BCSD Student Webmail is NOT be used for personal communications unless of an educational nature.
- Students must log out of their email server account when finished as an open account may permit others to access your information. The security of your account is your responsibility.
- Although the District reserves the right to retrieve and monitor any E-mail messages, such messages should be treated as confidential by other students and accessed only by the intended recipient. Students are not authorized to retrieve or read any E-mail that is not sent to them. Any exception to this policy must receive prior approval by the EdTech Coordinator.
- Applied to all email messages: Messages you receive may contain information that is confidential and/or protected under the Family Rights and Privacy Act or other lawfully recognized privilege. If you receive any such message in error or through inappropriate means, please reply to this message to notify the sender that the message was received by you in error, and then permanently delete the message from all storage media, without forwarding or retaining a copy.
- Virus warnings: Virus emails can be from a familiar sender and contain an attachment that was not in the typical file format one would expect such as .doc for a Word file, .xls for an Excel file or .pdf for an adobe acrobat file.
Always look at the LAST file extension
DO NOT OPEN any email and attachments you are not expecting and contact the sender to confirm that it was a valid attachment. Virus programs will only catch viruses that are currently in their lists. Notify the EdTech Department of any suspicious attachments before opening.
By logging into student webmail you are verifying that you have read and understand the Beekmantown CSD Student Email policy. Failure to abide by this policy will result in a deactivation of the account. Please be aware that the terms of this form are subject to change. It is the responsibility of the user to be aware of the policy.