Beekmantown Central School District is required to identify students experiencing homelessness. The purpose of gathering this information is to ensure that students in temporary housing arrangements are provided with the rights and services to which they are entitled under the McKinney-Vento Act.
ARE YOU LIVING...
• With relatives, friends, or others because you lost your housing or because of economic hardship?
• In a shelter?
• In a motel or hotel because you have nowhere else to go?
• In inadequate housing?
THEN YOU MAY BE PROTECTED UNDER THE MCKINNEY-VENTO ACT
Children and youth in temporary housing have the right to:
• stay in the same school, including pre-k, and get free transportation even if it is across district lines;
• immediately enroll in school without records (school records, medical records, vaccination records, proof of residency);
• get special education services immediately if the student has a current Individualized Education Plan (IEP);
• participate fully in any school activities, including before- or after-school activities;
• get support services and help with things like school supplies through Title I;
• get free school meals without filling out an application;
• get help enrolling in pre-k, Head Start, other preschool programs, and Early Intervention; and
• get help applying for financial aid
Foster Care Point of Contact
Beekmantown Central School District
Polly Tavernia, McKinney-Vento/Foster Care Liaison
37 Eagle Way
West Chazy, NY 12992