Hall of Fame
Beekmantown Central School District is proud to announce the inaugural year of the Beekmantown Central School District Hall of Fame. The Hall was created to provide a very special recognition to individuals who have achieved greatness or contributed to our schools in incredible ways. Inductees will have distinguished themselves from so many others in our storied district to merit the special recognition of being a member of the Beekmantown Hall of Fame.
We believe the Hall of Fame provides students, staff and the community with amazing examples of success. Each student or staff walking our halls can aspire to someday be so honored. Moreover, we believe by establishing this special recognition, we are building on our school culture by bringing our community together to share these special successes.
The Hall is composed of remarkable men and women who achieved at the highest of levels.
Article I: Name
The following are bylaws and processes for the Beekmantown Central School District Hall of Fame.
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of the Beekmantown Central School District Hall of Fame is to recognize amazing contributions and/or achievements within our schools and to make all students and parents aware that such achievement is possible at the Beekmantown Central School District.
Article III: Requirements
Nominees must exemplify the highest standards of ethical conduct and moral character. All candidates will be judged on their significant and/or long-term contributions to the Beekmantown Central School District.
In order to maintain the integrity of the Hall of Fame, a nominee must meet the criteria in one of the following categories:
Any former Beekmantown Central School District student who distinguished himself/herself with excellence and acknowledged leadership in his/her chosen field. Must be a graduate and out of school for at least ten (10) years. Nominees must be, or have been a credit to his/her family, country and Beekmantown Central School District. The inductee may be either living or deceased. Nominees in this field are judged to be in the Hall of Fame based on criteria including, but not limited to, degrees earned, academic awards, service towards academic success of others, class rank/GPA, involvement in clubs/extracurricular activities within the arts, current profession, career accomplishments, received advanced Regents diploma, honor roll throughout high school career, enrollment in AP/Dual Enrollment college credit coursework, SAT/ACT scores and teacher assessment scores. Accomplishments that are above normal standards, could include military academy graduate, doctor, lawyer, engineer, veterinarian, educator, pharmacist, dentist, architect, music, arts, business, politics, etc. Most noticeable professional/academic accomplishments; awards, recognitions, education, community service and significant contributions made to society.
Any former Beekmantown Central School District athlete who is distinguished in the field of athletics and lettered in a varsity sport. Must be a graduate and out of school for at least ten (10) years. Nominees must be, or have been a credit to his/her family, country and Beekmantown Central School District. The inductee may be either living or deceased. Nominees in this field are judged to be in the Hall of Fame based on criteria including, but not limited to, athletic achievement, All-Section VII, All-State, Team MVP, Captain, record setter, leadership qualities, attitude, sacrifices for the team, enhance the performance of teammates, good sportsmanship, wins/losses, State competition, career stats, records achievements, college athlete, program growth.
Any person who has been a loyal and devoted supporter of the Beekmantown Central School District’s athletics or academics for a minimum of five (5) years. This category might include assistant coaches, staff, scorers, Beekmantown Booster Club or media personalities are all examples. The inductee may be either living or deceased.
Any former Beekmantown Central School District student who distinguished himself/herself with excellence and acknowledged leadership in service to the community. Must be a graduate and out of school for at least five (5) years. Nominees must be, or have been a credit to his/her family, country and Beekmantown Central School District. The inductee may be either living or deceased.
Administrators, Coaches, Teachers:
A nominee must have been an administrator, coach or teacher within the Beekmantown school system for a minimum of ten (10) years and must have distinguished themselves by demonstrating exceptional leadership, character and achievement during his/her tenure in Beekmantown. The inductee may be either living or deceased.
Article IV: Nomination Procedure
A nomination for induction into the Beekmantown Central School District Hall of Fame may be submitted to the Hall of Fame Selection Committee by current faculty, administration, staff, members of the Beekmantown Booster Club, alumni, by the media or by the general public. Nominees must be 10 years or more post graduation or post retirement.
B. The nomination form shall be completed and submitted to and received by the District Clerk along with appropriate support materials by May 1, 2021 and February 1 for all subsequent years for a candidate to be considered for induction in the following school year.
C. All nominations received for consideration must contain an active and current address and contact information for the nominee (or family, if deceased). Failure to supply support material will result in invalidating the application; consequently, the nomination will not be considered.
D. In addition to the official nomination form, the following materials should be submitted for an individual’s consideration:
1. A letter of recommendation from the person making the nomination, and two (2) other letters from appropriate individuals who can validate or substantiate pertinent information related to the nominee.
2. If available a limited number of newspaper clippings, magazine articles, copies of scorebooks and statistics may be included to help substantiate the accomplishments and contributions of the nominee.
3. If available, a suitable photograph, preferably black and white, for reproduction should be submitted.
E. Nominees will be reviewed for references and history to ensure the satisfaction of Hall of Fame requirements and qualifications.
F. The committee chairperson will notify the nominee in writing if not selected. Nominations not selected will be retained for 5 years for future consideration.
Article V: Selection Procedure
Beekmantown Hall of Fame Committee Members will meet in person or virtually at a time determined by the chairperson to review, discuss, nominate and select candidates. The quorum for any meeting at which selection of candidates takes place must be a majority of the committee members as documented and delivered via attendance list and agenda to the District Clerk.
Background information on each nominee must be distributed to the Hall of Fame committee members at least one day prior to any meeting to familiarize themselves with the material prior to discussion and vote. Each Hall of Fame Committee member has one vote; all votes carry equal weight. In order to gain election, a nominee must receive a number of votes equal to 75% of committee members. Nominees shall be discussed in alphabetical or chronological order as designated by the chairperson.
Article IV: Size of Induction Class
There shall not be a minimum number of selections. To become a member of the Beekmantown Central School District Hall of Fame nominees will need 75% of the Committee members voting in favor of the application. This requirement can be waived during the inaugural year of 2021.
It shall be the objective of the Beekmantown Hall of Fame Committee to identify, nominate and select appropriate representation of individuals, including those from previously underrepresented populations.
Article VII: Induction Celebration
- Induction will be during Alumni/Homecoming weekend during the fall sports season on October 1st, 2021.
- Inductees will be honored at our annual Hall of Fame banquet held at school on Saturday and during a sporting event.
- An Open house for Alumni will be held that Saturday as well.
- A chairperson will be appointed for the banquet and induction ceremonies as the selection begins.
- The committee should involve community groups and local businesses in putting on the banquet as well as school groups.
- Inductees will be given an identical plaque as the one going on the wall, a lifetime membership to all Beekmantown Central School District events and a creative piece from our students all to memorialize their membership in the Hall of Fame.
- The committee recommends that the Hall of Fame be established at the Beekmantown High School main entrance to stimulate student and community interest and to recognize Hall of Fame members.
- The committee expects that ticket sales and charitable events like a golf tournament, fun run, pickleball event and the Hall of Fame Banquet will pay for all of the expenses in subsequent years. The inaugural class celebration will be funded by Beekmantown Central School District.
- The Hall of Fame Committee may also honor the inductees at a golf outing to be held during the Alumni/Homecoming Weekend.
- A gathering on Friday night at a local establishment will be organized to encourage Alumni and others to meet and reminisce.
Article IX: Governance
The Hall of Fame is governed by a Hall of Fame Committee. The committee shall consist of:
- 2 students represented from the High School Student Council,
- 2 Beekmantown Central School District retirees,
- 2 current Board of Education members,
- 2 at large community members,
- 2 Booster Club members,
- 2 Beekmantown Support Staff Association members,
- 2 Beekmantown Teachers’ Association members,
- 2 Beekmantown Central School District Administrators,
- Superintendent or designee,
- Elected Hall members,
- 2 current or retired coaches as appointed by the High School Principal.
The Committee selects the inductees from nominations submitted by members of the public each year. Annually the Hall of Fame Committee must elect a chairperson.
Names of Hall of Fame Committee members will not be released. Committee members must provide the chairperson with their projected attendance to the committee meeting(s).
Inductees to the Hall of Fame wishing to be on the Committee will notify the Chair by January 1 of each year.
Community members will be appointed by the Board of Education after the Board of Education solicits letters of interest from the community. Community Members appointed by the Board of Education will remain on the Committee for two years.
People aspiring to be on the Hall of Fame Committee will submit a letter of interest which goes directly to the District Clerk. The District Clerk will route the applications in February (April in 2021) to the appropriate group for selection.
This document may be amended by a two-thirds majority vote of the total number of committee members.
The duties and responsibilities of the Hall of Fame Selection Committee shall be as follows:
- Attend regularly scheduled selection meetings.
- Evaluate the nomination of individuals submitted that fulfill the requirements for consideration.
- Validate and approve all worthy candidates for induction into the Beekmantown Central School District Hall of Fame. This is to be done under the parameters set forth in this document.
- Keep all actions of the Selection Committee confidential.
- Support the final outcomes of the committee even if your vote was not adopted.
- Listen to and respect the opinions of others.
- Organize the banquet with the help of the student and school groups.
- Organize the Alumni weekend events with the help of the student groups.
The voting procedures of the Hall of Fame Selection Committee shall be as follows:
- First Meeting: The Selection Committee shall review candidates based on information available at the time of the meeting. After the discussion, every selection committee member may vote for up to 10 nominees (each vote carries equal weight). The nominees with the 20 highest point totals will become finalists. The committee will reconvene in 2 weeks to make final selections after committee members have had a chance to do additional research on the nominees. The numbers in the first class may be higher.
- Second Meeting: Discuss the 20 finalists. Each selection committee member may vote for up to 15 nominees (each vote carries equal weight).
- To be elected the nominee must receive 75% of the committee members votes.
- The annual voting of the Selection Committee will be confidential.
- Inductees will be announced at a predetermined time following the final selection process in early May but no later than the first week of June.
- The Superintendent will then contact selected individuals where they will indicate if they will be present or represented at the induction ceremony in the fall.
- Prior publicity or social media posts concerning nominees is not appropriate and should not be discussed at any meeting.
- The Selection Committee through the Superintendent’s Office will announce on social media, the website and through a press release pertinent information concerning the inductees.
The original committee members who graciously volunteered their time to create the foundation for the Beekmantown Central School District Hall of Fame are: