2023-2024 Budget Calendar and School Board Election
November 8, 2022
● Board of Education approves the Budget Calendar
November 2022 – January 2023
● Administration reviews and modifies current and projected enrollment, staffing, and budget
assumptions regarding State Aid, retirement increases and health insurance increases
● Multi-Year Finance Plan is updated
December 13, 2022
● Presentation: CSE/CPSE Trends & Projections - Assistant Superintendent of Special Services Polly
Tavernia & Director of Pupil Personnel Nick Pepe
January 10, 2023
● Board examines the multi-year finance plan in public session to receive input from public
● Discussion of prospective NYS Aid and Federal Aid, health insurance and retirement
● The Board receives an interim report on the budget development process to date, and discusses
prospective tax cap, positions, and proposals associated with State Aid.
● Preliminary Tax Cap Limit calculation for discussion - Business Manager Parliament
February 14, 2023
● Superintendent presents Budget progress report to Board of Education
● Property tax base growth factor is established by the commissioner of Taxation and Finance on or
about February 15. The BoE established a Tax Cap for the simple majority vote and is submitted the
next day to the State Comptroller and the Commissioner of Education and Taxation and Finance by the
● The Superintendent and Board discuss the budget development progress, and any/all areas in the
budget that may be affected to reach the guidelines.
● Board establishes the spending and fund balance guidelines to be used by the Superintendent in
development of a proposed budget.
● The Board of Education is presented with forecasts in the areas of: Enrollment, Scheduling, Buildings
& Grounds, Transportation, Staffing, and Fund Balance Projections.
● The Superintendent presents a progress report on the budget development including potential areas
affected to meet the guidelines.
March 1, 2023
● School districts must submit any information necessary for the calculation of the tax levy limit to the
State Comptroller, and the Commissioners of Education and Taxation and Finance.
March 14, 2023
● The BoE establishes the acceptable tax levy limit either within or outside of the “Tax Cap” calculation
by a simple majority vote and this is submitted the next day to the State Comptroller and the
Commissioner of Education and Taxation and Finance by the District Treasurer. Board exams draft
contingency (adversity) budget and growth budget
March 28, 2023 - April 1, 2023
● Districts must publish first of four legal notices of budget vote and board election, (i.e. 4 times during
the 7 weeks (49 days) preceding the date of the election, the first notice being published not later than
45 days before the election). (The 45th day before the election falls on Saturday, April 1st. If
newspaper(s) of general circulation will publish the first legal notice on Saturday, April 1st this
complies with the deadline. However, better practice probably would be to publish on or before
Friday, March 31, 2023, but not before Tuesday, March 28th - the 49th day before the election).
Publication on Monday, April 3, 2023 probably also is permissible pursuant to Gen. Constr. Law
Weeks of April 4, 2023 - April 15, 2023
● Board and community will receive electronic Budget Update on April 1st including NYS Legislative Aid
Revenue Results (If a NYS Budget is agreed to)
April 17, 2023
● 1. School Board Candidate Nominating Petitions Due in the Office of the District Clerk by 5:00 p.m.
30 days before election.
● 2. Voter submitted petitions (for propositions other than those required to be included in the notice of
annual meeting) must be submitted 30 days before the vote.
April 18, 2023
● Date for drawing by District Clerk for determination of order for listing Board candidates on ballot or
April 19, 2023
● Superintendent provides budget progress and revenue forecast updates (including adversity & growth)
● The Board of Education will adopt the proposed spending plan for voter consideration.
April 20, 2022
● Report Card filed online with SED and transmitted to Press-Republican
April 20, 2023
● Voting on CEWW vacant board seats and tentative administrative budget
May 2, 2023
● District must complete budget at least seven (7) days before public hearing
May 2-16, 2023
● Detailed Proposed Budget Statement and required attachments available and will be mailed to residents
upon request and e-mailed to BCSD subscriber list (during the 14 days before vote and on day of vote)
May 9, 2023 Location: Learning Theater Time: 7:00 pm
● Budget Hearing
May 10, 2023
● Deadline for Mailing “Budget Notice” (6 days before vote).
May 15, 2023
● Set-up and inspection of election machines
May 16, 2023 Location: Learning Theater Time: 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
● Annual Budget Vote
Voter Registration: Registration will take place at the District Office, 197 Haynes Road
between the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Deadline to register to vote is May 9, 2023.
Absentee Ballots: Deadline to return an absentee ballot is May 16, 2023 by 5:00 pm.
Timeline - 2023 Budget Revote
May 30- June 6
● Budget must be completed at least seven days prior to the budget hearing at which it is to be presented
● Deadline for Publication of the first of two required legal notices prior to budget re-vote
● Publication of second and final legal notice prior to budget re-vote
June 6 - June 13
● Public Hearing to present budget 7-14 days prior to the re-vote
● Deadline for mailing “Budget Notice” (6 days before re-vote)
● Uniform Budget Re-vote Date
No district is compelled to hold a budget re-vote, but if it does, it must be held on the third
Tuesday in June, unless the Commissioner of Education, at the request of the school district,
certifies no later than March 1st that such vote would conflict with religious observances, in which
case the revote must be held (if at all) on the second Tuesday in June.